Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Floods in L.A. - Sans Rain

I've been on a bit of a vacation, i.e. Sanity Break, back East. Trying to ignore the many many 'demons' of late in California was a necessary part of this 'reboot.'  But now I'm back and I'll start you off with this article from the New York Times highlighting our latest issue - water main breaks, and plenty of them. 

In a Parched Los Angeles, the Streets Suddenly Run Wet

My favorite quote is the opening.
This arid city is always looking for water. Lately, a lot of it can be found cascading down the streets. To the threat of quakes, wildfire and mudslides that give Los Angeles an air of impending collapse, add a multitude of recent damaging water main breaks that have buckled streets, flooded businesses, exasperated residents, blocked traffic and perplexed engineers

*The above picture is from a water main break earlier this month.  Whoops.  

No comments: