Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Failing Cars and 'Superstars'

Ok, let's all have a quick laugh at the fact that I was going to write more often and keep it brief... ah good times.

Anyway, since my last post I've had lots of little escapades, and I really do want to write about them but for the sake of staying up to date I wont be going into too much detail... if that's possible with me!

This past weekend I got to see Heidi and Rocco and the kids who were visiting because Rocco was getting honored for his amazing work for the soldiers by Casa Colina. The girls and I had lots of fun hanging out at the hotel (The Pacific Palms) complete with some icy cold pool time, delicious room service, and Hairspray on demand (we watched the ending multiple times!). The most fun was probably waltzing past an elegant wedding reception dripping wet in our robes because all the other doors to the hotel were locked after our pool time! Emma, of course took her time admiring the pretty ladies as I tried to hustle them past. It was fantastic to see some people from home and the girls (and Michael) who grow way too quickly for me to keep up with. An added bonus was that Heidi and Rocco scored Bonnie Hunt's email for me, she's starting a show this fall for NBC... always nice to have another lead on jobs!

Friday night Lili Haydn (a friend of Kristin's who has a great cd coming out April 1st -check it out!) played at nearby Busby's. It was a writer's guild event and I wanted to network so I bravely went alone (that's right alone!) thinking I'd look foolish... only to feel much better once inside. Writers really are everything they are rumored to be! Most stood around alone or in small groups, few danced, and lots looked like they perhaps didn't get out very often... or shave for that matter haha. But it turned out to be lots of fun, I talked with a handful of different people and all of them had wonderful advice and some reassurances "Producing is really hard, but you can do it, you've got the personality for it." I'm not sure if that was a compliment or not but I'll take it for now!

I've been very busy with babysitting; I drive by the HOLLYWOOD sign and several studios on my way to work during the week, which is fun. I'm sure eventually the 40 minute drive (when there is traffic) will get on my nerves but for right now I enjoy it.

I was lucky enough to sit in on a story meeting last Saturday with some successful producers. It was a very educational experience, and I learned a lot. Number one, I knew but to see it first hand was educational: as a writer, they really will rip you apart... Ryann and I will just have to make sure we toughen up before we send our script out. I've also been able to do some script notes and summaries which are always educational and keep me film motivated!

Car travels were anything but easy last week so hopefully I've had my fair share for a while...

Betty had a flat tire last week, apparently a screw from somewhere. With-in two minutes of realizing it I pulled into a gas station. They had it plugged and filled up in no more than three minutes and I was on my way. I think it may be a record for easiest flat tire ever!

Driving the Prius last week on an errand I ran out of gas, on the corner of Santa Monica and Fairfax (two quite busy roads). Always fun to run out of gas, but doing so in an extra efficient Prius adds a little irony. Luckily Ryann came to my rescue and after some really humorous gas purchasing and pouring (seriously, those red tanks are the easiest option?!?!) I was on my way again.

And then there are those 'helpful' GPS systems that turn quick jaunts to the airport into 90 min drives because someone has disabled the freeway option. Or Mapquest who chooses the 'quickest' drive which also happens to be down a winding canyon road when you are already late chauffeuring someone to a meeting... and your poor passenger is gripping the door and trying not to throw up (oops- but Betty handled those curves like a pro)!


As for star sightings... there haven't been many but here you go:

Phil Roth, director of Hostile, walking along Hollywood Blvd
The dad from Beethoven 1 & 2, don't even know his name, in the grocery store on Sunday
Tim Allen, behind me in line at Starbucks last week
And I'm 95% sure I saw Clint Eastwood yesterday but he was in a car so I didn't get a second look at him and for all I know it was just a look-a-like.



Missing out on those FASTNACHTS today!!! At least in Pittsburgh they knew what Pennsylvania Dutch was! Might give Hollywood Lutheran a try, their pastor has headshots on the site and there's something about their music director being Grammy nominated??? Ah, how LA! : )

No comments: